Hockey Course Sunday 8:00am-9:45am Course 1, 6 weeks
Learn to skate hockey offers a fantastic introduction to would be ice hockey
The course focuses on the style of skating needed to successfully transition to play
Our experienced coaches will teach you new skills to ensure you become more
proficient as you progress through the three ice hockey development grades.
If you’d like to learn to play hockey there are more ways than ever to do this! You
can graduate from our Learn to Skate Hockey programme or you can move on to our
Learn to Play Hockey classes once you have reached level 5 of the Learn to Skate
programme and are over 5 years old.
Learn to Play members must have their own ice hockey skates.
Individual Hockey Skills Players will learn and master:
1. Skating • edge control • ready position • forward start • forward stride • control stop
(two-foot snowplow, one-foot snowplow) • backward skating • backward stop •
control turn • forward crossover
2. Puck Control • lateral dribble • forward-to-backward dribble • diagonal dribble •
attacking the triangle • forehand shift • accelerating with the puck
3. Passing and Receiving • forehand • backhand • receiving (stick) • eye contact
4. Shooting • wrist • backhand
5. Checking • poke check • hook check • lift the stick check
6. Goalkeeping • basic stance • parallel shuffle • lateral t-glide • forward and
backward moves• stick save • body save • glove save
Players will understand and learn:
1. Offense • positional offense • offense in the offensive zone • offense in the
2. Defense • territorial defense • one-man forechecking • basic defensive zone